Saturday, April 10, 2010

Grief Dreams

Dear Chris,

The three of us slept fitfully on my father-in-law's bed that night after the morning my husband died. Shadowy demons lurked in corners and doorways, peering at us. Good and Evil fought hand to hand in our dreams.
I woke sweating between my children's hot bodies. I looked at my daughter's sleeping face, eyes slightly open. I bent and kissed her forehead. Still asleep, her eyes flew open and she said "boo!" just like he would have were he trying to startle me. I tried not to panic as her hands went out and she sleep talked. "Judaism, Catholicism" then something unintelligible. "Go back to sleep, baby." I said, to comfort myself.
A lawyer from Jewish Family Services had agreed to act as his guardian when I said I could not. His little sister had given me a rosary had been keeping. I am glad that he was talking to God.
She had taken us to a beach on the bay as well. We collected stones and glass polished by the sand, little bits of shell too. I had promised to bring him home to Ohio. "In June, after school's out. The kids and I will come and get you and take you out of there." He didn't last until June. I only brought his spirit home.

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment