Thursday, December 10, 2009

Welcome Christmas With Lights!

As we near the winter solstice and the longest of nights in the Northern hemisphere, all seems always cold and dark. There is nothing more comforting when driving through a dark landscape than the cheer of Christmas lighting on houses. Tonight it seems the wind blows straight through my coat and wraps its icy fingers around my entire body. The stars shine just as brightly though, as they did in summer. The Christmas lights echo their mystery and promise.

Christmas lights say something about the inhabitants of a house. Whether tasteful or tacky, classic or whimsical, you know that the people there want to be happy. They want others to be happy too. A Christmas light display is both generous and welcoming. So many dark and cold evenings in years past I have driven home from work, (sometimes wondering if my car would even make it) and been indescribably encouraged by the brilliance of icicle lights outlining the eves of a house; or the strange, inflatable Santa in the front lawn of an old trailer.

I am particularly fond of luminaries and candles in windows. I love to see the gables of big old Victorians outlined in lights. Once I saw a display of motorcycles set to pull Santa's sleigh. The first display I saw this year lit up a dark hollow on a lonesome back road. The mood inside my car was immediately brightened. My children were thrilled. "Christmas!" They exclaimed. My favorite this year is a tiny house all outlined in white lights, even the windows and door. With a star above the chimney.

Nothing represents hope better than a newborn child. And no greater gift has been given. So put out your nativities, your Santas, and your snowmen. Prepare the way with lights which mimic the light in the heavens. Spread joy, cheer, and hope through the dark night to all who pass by your home.

Sarah Fisher

1 comment:

  1. I love luminaries in windows too.

    I like the way the city feels around this time, the lights stringing the streets, the shoppers, Rockefeller Center. Even more, I like the contrast when I go to the suburbs for the holiday at my parent's, and there are all those blow up Santas and houses that go way overboard.

    ReplyDelete